When were we founded?
Who are we and whom do we serve?
PCMS is an independent 501(c)3 non-profit school serving children ages 18 months through 6 years. Classes are mixed-age groups incorporating the preschool and kindergarten years with a balanced number of boys and girls.
We provide authentic Montessori educational programs, as well as full day care, before- and after-school care, and summer day camp.
Days and Hours
We loosely follow the Wayne County Common Calendar, with typical holiday breaks, and a nine- or ten-week summer program. Classes meet daily during the following hours:
Toddler: 8:45-11:45 a.m.
Preschool and Half-Day Kindergarten: 8:45-11:45 a.m. or 12:30-3:30 p.m.
Extended Day (full day) Kindergarten: 8:45 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Day care and latchkey programs are available before and after class. The building is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on days school is in session.
Are we a “real” Montessori school?
Yes, we are. You should know, however, that the Montessori name is not patented; it is in the public domain, and there are no restrictions on its use. It is legally possible for a school or child care center to use the name without following Montessori philosophy or practices. As parents, it is important to learn about Montessori philosophy and the elements that comprise an authentic Montessori program. These include, at a minimum:
- a five-day per week program for all students
- multi-age classrooms with three-year age spans at the preschool/kindergarten and elementary levels
- teachers with Montessori training at the levels they are teaching
- a complete set of Montessori materials in each classroom
- affiliations with state and national Montessori organizations
Armed with this knowledge, you will be able to choose an authentic Montessori school for your child.
PCMS’s preschool/kindergarten, day care, and latchkey programs are licensed by the Michigan Department of Human Services.
Memberships & Affiliations
Our preschool/kindergarten, day care and latchkey programs are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), a quality indicator achieved by only 3% of child care programs in Michigan and 8% nationally.
We are affiliated with the American Montessori Society, Michigan Montessori Society, the International Montessori Council, and AIMS, the Association of Independent Michigan Schools.
Goals for our students:
- Safety— Physical and emotional safety for every child is our first priority.
- Character— We are committed to helping students develop excellent character, which we define very simply as “Doing the right thing when no one is looking.”
- Solid Foundation— The program fosters long-term social, emotional, and intellectual growth. Our kindergarten graduates may pursue quality Montessori education at the next level at our Dearborn Heights Montessori Center.
A few buzzwords that are associated with PCMS:
Consistent with Montessori philosophy, these are things we teach and/or practice:
- Respect— for self, for others, for the environment
- Service— seeing a need, and meeting it
- Diversity— a lovely mix of students and staff
- Community— children, families, and staff working together
- “The Triangle”— an equilateral triangle that represents the interrelationships and necessary balance of student, family, and school. When all contribute equally, the result is a successful student and a solid citizen.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Plymouth-Canton Montessori School does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of gender, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability.